Monday, 16 May 2011

...at the end of the day

I'm sitting in bed, feeling like my eyes are getting heavier and heavier. I feel like such a light weight these days... it's only 8.15 pm! It's been a very busy day, and yet I didn't accomplish half the things on my list of things to do today...
Mondays are difficult at the best of times. This was a particularly frustrating one. At 5am I was awoken by the cries of my daughter. I rushed as quickly and as quietly as I could from the bedroom, pulled Aniah from her cot and hurried downstairs to make up a bottle in the hope that she might settle back to sleep. After cuddling her for a little while she settled back to sleep - yesss... a few more hours of kip.

The morning continued nicely with breakfast, devotional and songs with the family. Then off to drop Gareth at the station. So far so good.

As soon as I got back, I hurried to make a 'to-do-list' (a vital element of my day). There was a lot to do today - including trying to catch up on the mountain of house work that seemed to have accumulated over the weekend and prepare and teach a baby sign class at 11am.

Usually I try to get Aniah to nap at around 9am ... but today she made it very clear that this was not going to happen... on any other day this would not have been a problem, but I needed to get her to sleep before leaving to go to the class.

There are so many conflicting theories on how to deal with a crying baby when it's time for them to sleep ... should I leave her to cry herself to sleep, or should I try to rock her in my arms until she drops?

Well... by 9.45 I was getting desperate, I needed to leave in 45 mins and she was screaming the house down. I'd tried both methods with no avail. After trying to cuddle a baby that clearly did not want to be cuddled I resorted to leaving her in her cot again. 5 mins... 10 mins... 15mins... Bingo! No sound. After looking through a crack in the door to see a curled up peacefully sleeping baby, I heaved a sigh of relief.


Things were looking up again. I hurried back to the 'to-do-list' chores.

On my way back from putting the rubbish out, I noticed a nasty slug making its way across the decking towards the flower pots Gareth and I had spent several hours planting only a few weeks ago. In my haste to get on with the chores I thought to myself how slugs didn't pose a threat to our flowers as they only consumed vegetable plants. I left it alone. What a fool!

After returning home from teaching my class and only just making it home in time for my food delivery from Asda, I thought positively - I will get everything done before I need to leave the house to pick up Gareth. hmm...

Whilst feeding Aniah her lunch/clearing the kitchen/sweeping and loading and folding laundry (so glad I can multi-task) , I happened to glance out of the window at the flower pots. There was a distinct lack of flowers.



I hate slugs... what their purpose is I have yet to find - them along with wasps. Armed with a sandwich bag over my hand, I went to find the nasties. They had munched through not one but 3 pots of flowers .... I finally found them lurking beneath the half eaten remains of the 3rd pot. My squeamish side returned, i couldn't stamp on them, despite my aggravation. Childhood memories of evenings with my siblings collecting slugs from the vegetable garden to throw into hot salt water flooded back.

After coming to terms with the loss of my beloved flowers, I made a note to buy slug pellets as soon as possible.
I was still not half way through my list...

I then needed to pick up hubby from the train station an hour early due to his re-occuring headaches.

I realized that tomorrow was going to need to be the day to finish the house work and several other things... or maybe the day after.

Things don't always work out perfectly, but you know what, I still got to cuddle with my baby and husband, got a nice meal on the table and ate some really delicious ice cream. At the end of the day .... it's time to sleep and start afresh in the morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment