Monday, 16 April 2012

wall word squares tutorial



I've seen so many great ideas for home made wall art and word blocks etc on pintrest that a few months ago I decided I'd give it a go. I looked for some cubes initially but ended up getting some interesting square bits of wood that my sister was going to throw away. 


First, I sanded down the wood to get rid of any excessive ragged edges.













I then painted them all in purple (using some left over paint we used on the feature wall in the living room)



Once it was dry I painted over the purple with two coats of 'Crown - Eggshell, old English white'.








I then used sand paper to distress the edges of the blocks so that the purple began to show through.




The writing part I can't take credit for as it was an idea I got from this superb blog. I love her stuff and want to try a few more bigger projects sometime.

All you do is print off the words you want onto regular paper then place some carbon paper between the word and the wood. I also taped it all down to prevent the word sliding. Then use a pen to trace over the words.







It's then as simple as painting between the lines. At this stage I probably could have benefited from spraying it with sealant (that's on my 'need to buy list)












So there you have it ... my little word blocks. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I like the way you think! I have Freestyle ceramic 4X4 tiles in 3 colors I'll eventually get up as a backsplash in my kitchen. Maybe those words plus the fruit of the spirit,
    I've been looking for a place to do that.

    ReplyDelete