Tuesday, 24 April 2012

quiet house

The house is completely silent. Just the tick tock from the clock in the kitchen. The washing up is done, laundry has been hung, the dry clothes folded. Both kiddies are sound asleep, looking like little angels. My eyes are starting to get heavy now, but I know I've still got a list of stuff I wanted to accomplish - a few more bits of house work, and a load of half finished projects I wanted to try and do more on.

Am just feeling a little bit lack lustre now. I got off the phone with Gareth a few moments ago, he's working away in Leeds for a couple of days. I always feel a little bit uncomfortable at night, when my mind starts playing tricks and I start hearing bump noises. You see, Gareth is one of those men who you always feel safe with. I know we're O.K when he's in the house. This was confirmed a few years ago when a drunk/drugged up man tried to break into our flat (I was 7 months pregnant at the time) and he chased the man and got into a bit of a tussle (to put it mildly) ensuring the man would not be returning in a hurry.

While I always seem to get way more jobs done when he's away, the house doesn't feel quite right. It was a bitter/sweet moment when at bath time Aniah was asking for her Daddy pointing to the office door (where Gareth will often be studying around bath time) and I had to try and explain Daddy was away. Then after her bath she went searching in our bedroom saying his name again.

Life often works that way doesn't it? It's only when something or someone we love is absent that we truly come to appreciate how much we miss it.


Needless to say I'm looking forward to having him home again.

1 comment:

  1. That's so true Hannah! I hate it when Vince works away...the bed feels so big and turning out the light last thing is not good! It means I stay up so much later when he's not here, putting off going to bed!
    At least it won't be for long!

    ReplyDelete