I got the pattern from this blog. Once I got into a bit of a flow it was really quite easy. This took me 3 nights.
It was also my first attempt at making a pompom. Here is how I set about making it...
1. Cut out different sized circles from some old card board. Make sure there are two circles of each size
2. Cut a 1/2 inch circle inside both and place on top of each other.
3. Wrap the yarn around the cardboard until it is completely covered.
4. When the circle is filled, use scissors to cut between both pieces of cardboard. Carefully hold both together and use another piece of yarn to wrap around the inside of the circle and tie tightly together.
5. remove the cardboard and then trim any bits that are too long. Hey presto... a pompom!